Re: help for kernel panic

Alan Greenberger wrote:

> Thank you for your suggestion.  I just tried booting with init=/bin/sh
> and unfortunately it got Kernel panic in the same way.
> The box was not upgraded from the Lenny install of half a year ago.  It
> was just shut down for two weeks.
> How would I skip initrd?

then forget this suggestion and check the bios if your hard drives are still

it's not normal that it breaks without a reason after you just shut down.

There is always a rational reason!

What is interesting is the line with can't open auto

can you confirm that you are using grub and describe the kernel command and
initrd lines