Re: [OT] Online downloadable books

On 8/24/2009 6:48 AM, Celejar wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:26:42 +0300
Micha<michf@post.tau.ac.il>  wrote:

You are talking about illegal copies of the books, I don't think that this is
the right list for that.

Some books are also available as ebooks, you can check amazon if they sell the
books you want as ebooks. They are usually in pdf form quite often with drm.

I've never ran into a book legal distributes as djvu

And you an Israeli, too (or at least posting from an Israeli email
address and with an Israeli name) ;)  Jnul makes hundreds of books

Guilty as charged ... ;)

freely available online in djvu format:

http://www.jnul.huji.ac.il/heb/digibook.html

Didn't run into that one, looks interesting. First time I've seen non-copyrighted books in djvu form. Up to now I've only seen project Gutenberg and opensourced books and since the text file is available they are generally distributed as text of pdf although I've just checked and there are quite a few others these days, djvu is not one of them (I think that it's optimized for scanned texts)

In high school I found some nice books about magic circa 17th century, how to summon demons in such in the huji library in one of the collections. Wonder if they are up there also (although damned if I know where to find a proper sword for the spell)

Perhaps you meant that modern, copyrighted books are not generally
legally available in djvu format.

You read my mind

And if you look at the title the OP mentioned it doesn't seem to be out of copyright or opensource

http://www.amazon.com/Set-Theory-Its-Logic-Revised/dp/0674802071
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-axiomatic-theory-Graduate-mathematics/dp/0387906835/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251116935&sr=1-2

only 25$ and 35$ but still ...

and both have a link to

Tell the Publisher!
I’d like to read this book on Kindle

Although can't say I like the way amazon handles kindle. Good idea, too restrictive.

This one looks nice though once the price drops enough and I think that it runs linux BTW
http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/iliad

Celejar