Re: Wrong identification of a USB flash drive.

On 2009-08-22 09:58, Mark Neidorff wrote:
On 2009-08-22 09:16, Mark Neidorff wrote:
This is in the category of P.A.T. (Petty Annoyances and Tedium) but I
still would like to know why it is happening.  That knowledge should tell
me how to fix the problem.

My system is Lenny 5.02, but the same problem exists on an old Fedora
Core 3 system, so it is not a Debian problem, per se.

I just bought a 3 pack of Sandisk Cruzers (4Gb).  When I insert any of
them into a USB port, the system recognizes it as a CD drive.
By "the system", do you mean lines in dmesg, or the icon on your
desktop?

                                                           Working around
this is easy, but what is causing the system to mis-identify the Cruzer? The only things on the cruzer are the files that automatically run under
windows ("autorun.inf, LaunchU3.exe" which put a different way of
unounting the device on the screen, and a System subdirectory and a
Documents
subdirectory).

Both on the desktop and in dmesg.  Here is the relavent info from dmesg:

  Vendor: SanDisk   Model: SanDisk Cruzer    Rev: 8.02
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
SCSI device sdc: 7856127 512-byte hdwr sectors (4022 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 08
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdc: 7856127 512-byte hdwr sectors (4022 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 08
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdc: sdc1
Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi14, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: SanDisk   Model: SanDisk Cruzer    Rev: 8.02
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x tray
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi14, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
usb-storage: device scan complete

Looks like it is mounted twice?

I bet there's a bug in udev, or maybe usbutils.

--
Featuring GRATUITOUS ALIEN NUDITY