Re: safe to purge older versions of installed software?

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Dean Sutherland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the command you're
> after is apt-cache rdepends packagename
>
> dean@subspace:~$ apt-cache rdepends gcc-4.1
> gcc-4.1
> Reverse Depends:
>   linux-headers-2.6.26-1-686
>   gcc-doc-base
>   gcc-doc-base
>   gcc-4.1-doc
>   gcc-4.1-doc
>   gpc-4.1
>   gcj-4.4-jdk
>   gcj-4.3
>   gcj-4.2
>   gcc-4.1-multilib
>   gcc-4.1-multilib
>   gcc-4.1-locales
>   g++-4.1
>
> It appears not all of those packages will be removed if you remove the
> gcc-4.1 package.
>
> dean@subspace:~$ sudo apt-get remove gcc-4.1-base
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   cpp-4.1 gcc-4.1 gcc-4.1-base linux-headers-2.6.26-1-686
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 394 not upgraded.

  yes, it look like that's what i was after, thanks.  (how many
package management commands and alternatives *are* there in debian?
:-)

  so the question now becomes, if i run that command on both
gcc-4.2-base and gcc-4.3-base, it looks like (not surprisingly) the
4.2 package has lots of 4.2-related reverse dependencies, and likewise
for gcc-4.3-base.  so do i really need the 4.2 stuff?

  if anyone has a fully-updated *lenny* system and they're willing to
run the same commands, is there anything about the output from the 4.2
version that would suggest that it needs to be retained, given that
4.3 is on the system?

  and on the system i'm upgrading, there are a number of packages that
are installed with more than one version.  i'd just like to clean that
system by purging anything that has no value.

rday