RE: need advice on scsi disk failure

The conventional approach is first to clean the contacts on the
connector and the card (some alcohol on a cotton swab for the
connector and a pencil eraser for the card contacts) and try again.
If that doesn't work go to "plan B" (run a complete disk diagnostic
regularly-if the problem is the connector then the disk diagnostic
will only fail when the connector isn't inserted fully; if the
problem is NOT the connector then the disk diagnostic should pick up
the problem).