Re: "Waiting for root file system ..."

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Niu Kun wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day 写道:
> >   (NOTE:  please ignore my earlier and utterly misinformed plea
> > for help.  turns out that, in attempting to mount /dev/sda1 as the
> > alleged root filesystem, the new 2.6 kernel was finding the
> > external backup hard drive at /dev/sda1.  no surprise that that
> > wasn't bootable. ack.)
> >
> >   so now i'm getting what appears to be another common diagnostic
> > as seen in the subject line.  i can see that a common reason is
> > the remapping of device names from hda -> sda.  however, even
> > under the old 2.4 kernel on this upgraded etch system, the devices
> > were accessed via sda (megaraid raid controller).  so the advice
> > to rename from hda to sda isn't relevant.  (but is there something
> > else about the megaraid controller that might be relevant?  i've
> > opened up the relevant initrd image and it does in fact contain
> > megaraid modules.)
> >
> >   thoughts?  the last few lines of boot diagnostics are:
> >
> > Done.
> > Begin: Mounting root file system ...
> > Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ...
> > Done.
> > Begin: Waiting for root file system ...
> >
> > then ... hang.  it's pretty clearly a problem in just
> > seeing/accessing the sole hard drive in the system.  i just can't
> > see what it is.

> How about dig into your system with a live CD to see the device
> mapping in your system?

  already did that with a gentoo-based rescue CD, the current "sda"
nomenclature worked just fine.  i could mount /dev/sda1, and it is the
root filesystem i'm going after, and it's what's in the grub conf
file.

> And by the way, have you ever upgraded a sarge system with 2.4
> kernel to a 2.6 lenny system?

  that is the *ultimate* goal, but i'm doing this in steps.  on the
chance that it's the default 2.6.18 etch kernel, i just upgraded that
to the 2.6.24 etchnhalf kernel.  we'll see if that fixes things.

> Will changing from hda to sda be sufficient?

  even the 2.4.27 kernel under sarge was using "sda" notation already,
since the single hard drive was on a megaraid controller.  so the
standard solution of s/hda/sda/g wasn't relevant here.  anyway, time
to test the newly-installed 2.6.24 kernel.  we'll see if that fixed
anything.

rday

p.s.  this system started out as a not-fully-upgraded sarge system.
in steps, i brought it up to a fully-upgraded etch system but still
running the 2.4.27 kernel, after which i followed the docs to upgrade
the kernel to the default 2.6.18 etch kernel.  and that's when things
failed to boot.  so, just for the heck of it, i installed the 2.6.24
etchnhalf kernel as well.  now we'll see.