Blender GUI not working anymore on Debian sid.

Hi,

Recently, when trying to work with /usr/bin/blender-bin, the blender
menus are not displayed anymore.  Any idea how this could be caused?

>From memory I now that the blender about (?) item should be the first
one in the blender help menu.  When first clicking the 'help' menu and
than moving the mouse to the place the 'about' item should be located,
the blender splash screen still is displayed, even without the menu
being shown.  The same is true for the other menu items also...

Thanks, Dietrich

I am on a IBM/Lenovo X60s laptop running debian sid.