Re: "Unable to perform shutdown" from Xfce

Liviu Andronic wrote:
Dear all,
More shutdown blues. Whenever I hit the Restart/Shut Down buttons in
Xfce log-off-er, I get the following error, and the system falls back
to gdm.
"Unable to perform shutdown

org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions
auth_admin <-- (action, result)"

I get the exact same issue on an up-to-date Ubuntu Jackalope, and here
I'm running Debian Squeeze. I see that the issue was discussed on
Debian [1] and Ubuntu [2]. Following the Debian thread, I checked that
I have libpam-ck-connector and policykit installed. I've read that the
issue might go away if an appropriate PolicyKit.conf was configured.

Could anyone attach a PolicyKit.conf that works on Debian Squeeze? Or
perhaps suggest a different way to work around the issue?
Thank you
Liviu
[1] http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-dist/2009-04/msg08404.html
[2] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-users/2009-June/001778.html

liviu@debian-liv:~$ polkit-auth | grep -i power
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.set-powersave
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.cpufreq
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.lcd-panel
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.light-sensor
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.keyboard-backlight

I was just install Debian Squeeze on one laptop. After installation I was remove Gnome and install XFCE. Shutdown and restart works normal without any tweaking.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic