Re: encrypted DVDs on Lenny

You can try regionset.

Web page:-http://linvdr.org/projects/regionset/

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Girish Kulkarni <girish@hri.res.in> wrote:
Hi,

Could someone help with playing encrypted DVDs on Lenny?

I run Lenny on a Dell Insprion 640m laptop that uses a Sony Optiarc
AD-5540A DVD player.  The player had its DVD region code set to 3 so I
couldn't play India-only DVDs (region code 5) on it.

Regionset smoothly changed the drive's region code to 5.  But I still
am unable to play encrypted DVDs on it.  In fact, I can only play
unencrypted DVDs (marked with region code ALL).

With a region code 5 DVD in the drive, "mplayer dvd://1" throws this
and hangs:

   MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.3.2-DFSG-free (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
   CPU: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2050 @1.60GHz (Family: 6, Model: 14, Stepping: 8)
   CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
   Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
   mplayer: could not connect to socket
   mplayer: No such file or directory
   Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

   Playing dvd://1.
   libdvdread: Invalid IFO for VMGM (VIDEO_TS.IFO).
   There are 2 titles on this DVD.
   There are 46 chapters in this DVD title.
   There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
   audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (5.1) language: en aid: 128.
   audio stream: 1 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 129.
   number of audio channels on disk: 2.
   subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: en
   number of subtitles on disk: 1
   MPEG-PS file format detected.

Totem and VLC fail too.  The disk is probably okay because it played
on someone's Windows desktop.  What is going wrong?  Can I trust
regionset?  I checked debian-user archives and looked up on Google --
regionset seems to have worked for most people.

Any comments will help.

Thanks,
Girish.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - athene.org.in/girish