Re: installing debian on rhel5

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:04:21AM -0700, Kevin Ross wrote:
> [...]

Install Debian first, on one small disk partition for boot, one large
partition for the OS, with one swap. Install GRUB into the MBR.

Install Red Hat next, on one disk partition, using LVM and with its own
swap inside LVM. Add the Red Hat grub entries in /boot/grub/grub.conf to
the Debian GRUB stanza.

The snag: Red Hat has acls and extended attributes in its version of
ext3 - which may mean that Debian won't read Red Hat file systems.

Ask smarter questions, detailing what you've already done and we'll be
better able to help you.

RHEL kernel is 2.6.18-92 or thereabouts - the main kernel version is
2.6.18 with a ton of patches. Debian stable is 2.6.26

  > > i have tried it but i could not boot debian but i can boot Rhel
> >
> > first i have insttled debian 5.0(Lenny) .
> > it has three partitions (/,/boot and swap)
> > all the three are primary partition.
> >
> > after that i have installled rhel5(2.3 kernel).
> >
> > i can able to boot only linux .
> >

> > can you help me to overcome this.
> >

> Are you SURE it's a 2.3 kernel?  I'm quite sure RHEL5 uses a 2.6 kernel.
>

> I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do.  Is it:
>
> 1. Have a dual-boot system, where at boot time you can choose to boot RHEL5
> or Debian?
> 2. Run Debian in a chroot under RHEL5, so you can run Debian commands, and a
> Debian desktop environment, under RHEL5?
> 3. Replace your RHEL5 installation with a Debian installation?
>
> If it's 1, you just need to install Debian to an unused partition on your
> hard drive somewhere. If you don't have an unused partition, I guess you
> could add another hard drive to the machine.  Or mess around with partition
> resizers.
>
> If it's 2, this is possible, but more difficult.  I've done it.  If this is
> really what you want, I can give you some guidance.
>
> If it's 3, well that's easy.  Just point the Debian installer to your
> current / partition.
>
> -- Kevin

AndyC