Hang on reboot with: "Waiting for root file system"

Dear all,

I've got an old Debian sarge box.
And I want to upgrade it to the newest lenny stable version.
I've encountered the problem mentioned in the following link:
http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/kernel.html
I had tried to upgrade my system to etch once, but the system failed to boot after that.
Fortunately, the old 2.4.27 kernel can still be used.
Surprisingly, I found my libc6 version was 2.3.6.ds1-13etch5.
This means that the old 2.4.27 kernel can do well with a new libc6.
Now I want to upgrade my system to the latest stable lenny.
So it'll be a little risky for me to use the old kernel with the new libc6 library, if the new 2.6.26 kernel still fails to boot this time. Since I'm thousands of kilometers away from the system, I can't protect my system after a boot failure.
So I'm here to see if anyone has the same problem with me.
And if so, would you please share your upgrade experience with me?
Thanks for any attention and your precious time in advance.