Re: Help apt-cache policy

In <[🔎] 4A8AE5A0.7040102@alice.it>, lc wrote:
>The command apt-cache policy gives 2 answers:

I often get many answers:
$ apt-cache policy broffice.org
broffice.org:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:2.4.1+dfsg-1
  Version table:
     1:3.1.1~rc1-1 0
        300 http://localhost experimental/main Packages
     1:3.1.0-5 0
        700 http://localhost testing/main Packages
        500 http://localhost unstable/main Packages
     1:3.1.0-5~bpo50+2 0
        800 http://localhost lenny-backports/main Packages
     1:2.4.1+dfsg-1 0
        900 http://localhost stable/main Packages

>for example:
>
>~# apt-cache policy wxmaxima
>wxmaxima:
>   Installed: 0.7.1-1
>   Candidate: 0.8.2-1
>   Version table:
>      0.8.2-1 0
>         700 http://ftp.it.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>  *** 0.7.1-1 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
>why this happens?

Multiple versions of that package are found by apt.

>who created and updates the status list?

/var/lib/dpkg/status is oddly enough, maintained by dpkg.  All debian
packages should be installed via dpkg (apt-get and aptitude do so).

>How can I have only 1 syncronized list?

Use only one apt repository or no pairs of apt repositories that contain
different versions of the same package AND keep your system up-to-date.

In this case, both apt-get and aptitude should show wxmaxima as upgradable.
After the upgrade your apt-cache policy for wxmaxima would look something
like:
wxmaxima:
   Installed: 0.8.2-1
   Candidate: 0.8.2-1
   Version table:
  *** 0.8.2-1 0
         700 http://ftp.it.debian.org unstable/main Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

>I use unstable and experimental

Normally, the version in experimental would be greater than the version in
unstable.  That would result in something like:
aptitude:
  Installed: 0.4.11.11-1~lenny1
  Candidate: 0.4.11.11-1+b2
  Version table: