Problem with ethernet connection

Hi,

I am new to debian and am having trouble enabling my ethernet connection.  During the installation, the installer could not configure DHCP connection.  I chose to not set up the connection at that time.  After installation was complete, I noticed that the internet wasn't working over my ethernet connection.  Network settings (system >> Administration >> Network) states that the "wired connection" is not enabled.  When I open properties and choose "enable this connection," it doesn't seem to enable it.  When I reopen the Network settings, it is again disabled.

LSPCI lists my ethernet controller as "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

If it helps, my laptop is a toshiba satellite L505D-S6948

Thanks,
Ryan

--
This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or propriety information, and may be used only by the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this e-mail immediately.