sound volume went waaaay low

Had to reboot today (powerfailure) and now the sound volume is so low it
can barely be heard. I keep current with testing so I'm sure many new
updates took effect with the reboot (including the kernel, it's now
2.6.30).

What would people suggest to make the sound hearable? All volume
controls are set to max. Any particular program likely to have caused
the change?

--
"We have rights, as individuals, to give as much of our own money as
 we please to charity; but as members of Congress we have no right so