How to force a package removal?

Hi,

A couple of years ago, when there were some "issues" with the various Adobe Flash packages, I downloaded and installed adobe-flashplugin from Ubuntu. It installed perfectly, and I've been happy with it ever since.

But now I want to replace it with the up-to-date flashplayer-mozilla from www.debian-multimedia.org.

However, I've hosed something, and can't figure out how to unhose it...

Currently, this is what is happening:

# dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq adobe-flashplugin
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
(Reading database ... 182140 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing adobe-flashplugin ...
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
dpkg: error processing adobe-flashplugin (--remove):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
postinst called with argument `abort-remove'
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 adobe-flashplugin

--
Scooty Puff, Sr