Re: usb hsdpa modem only detected after using it on windows

Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com> writes:

>the modem is Huawei E1762 which is provided by local ISP when registering
>for their wireless broadband service.

>this modem, weirdly, can only be detected when i used it recently from
>windows xp, while the device still connected into the usb port, reboot into
>debian, then it will be detected and can be used with Vodafone Mobile
>Connect Card driver for Linux

Look into a utility called usb-modeswitch.

Some Huawei HSPA modems (maybe all) initially show up as a USB storage
device, containing drivers for Windows and maybe Mac. Once the drivers
are installed, they switch the mode of the modem to serial mode so the
modem can be used.

It sounds like this is what is happening with your modem.

usb-modeswitch is a userland tool that switches the mode from storage to
serial. On later kernels where the device is known, this utility is not
needed as the kernel driver will switch the mode automatically. For
instance, I have a E169 which uses the "option" driver
(CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_OPTION). This driver knows about the E169 mode and
switches it automatically for me.

Debian unstable has the package usb-modeswitch, but this is not in lenny
(stable).

The home page for usb-modeswitch is:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/