Re: NIS woes.. Ubuntu nis client doesn't ping Debian nis Server

On 2009-08-13 23:15, raman narasimhan wrote:
We have a networks lab at our college that has a fully configured windows network. Now we are completely changing to linux. All systems in the lab have been installed with Debian/Ubuntu. We have configured NIS server in one of the Debian machines. And NIS client in the remaining machines. But the problem is that though all Debian clients can login into the NIS server, login into the Debian Server from Ubuntu clients is not possible.

Surprisingly we found out that we couldn't ping the Ubuntu machines from the Debian Server and vice versa. Since the network is working well in Windows, it cannot be an external problem. And we have thoroughly checked whether the NIS server and client have been configured correctly. We found no mistakes.

Sounds like a routing/gateway problem, having nothing to do with NIS.

So what could be the problem?? We have no problems in logging into Debian Server from Debian clients. We are new to networking in LINUX. We searched on the Internet and found a few pages that advice to disable IPV6. Even that didn't work.

The main problem, I think, is that NIS has in most sites been superseded by LDAP.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer