Re: problem updating etch to lenny

[ Please try to turn off the HTML. ]

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 21:48:31 -0500, Jessica Wu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently updated from etch to lenny but ran into a problem with the
> python upgrade.  From the error log it appears the fault occurs from
> python-central.  I had python2.4 and python2.5 installed on etch
> before the upgrade, with /usr/bin/python pointed to /usr/bin/python2.5

Note: It can be problematic to point /usr/bin/python to a version
different from the default for a given Debian release.

> and a manually installed keepnote in a separate local bin directory.
> I can still run python from command-line.  I suspect that because
> python failed to update, a lot of my other programs no longer work
> (the biggest problem being I can no longer use kde).  Can anybody help
> me figure out how to get pycentral fixed so I can fix/finish my
> upgrade?
> Here's the relevant portion of the log:
>
> Setting up python-central (0.6.8) ...
> pycentral: pycentral pkginstall: package keepnote is not installed

[...]

> dpkg: error processing python-central (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Looking at the post-installation script, it seems that it expects a list
of delayed packages in the file /var/lib/pycentral/delayed-pkgs. The
script then tries to run "pycentral pkginstall" on each package in the
list. This goes wrong for you because pycentral cannot find your
manually-installed keepnote package. I would therefore try to remove all
occurrences of "keepnote" from the delayed-pkgs file and then run
"aptitude install -f" (or "apt-get install -f" if you prefer).

          Florian   |