Using older kernels with lenny?

Hi all

I have installed a system with lenny and when the system boots with an usb printer connected (HP PSC 1210 all-in one) it hangs. Also, the internet connection does not (seem to) come up. (I have no direct access to the system now, need to travel physically to look at it again). I want to try another kernel version on this system. I see that there are different versions of linux-image-2.6.26, numbered linux-image-2.6.26-1-etc and linux-image-2.6.26-2-etc.
What is the difference between the two?
Is it possible to run lenny with a 2.6.18 or 2.6.24 kernel from etch?

Thanks in advance,
Eric