Re: zero size /root/.bash_history

On 2009-08-13 10:00 +0200, paragasu wrote:

> it is kind of weird when i checked my .bash_history, it is empty.

Did your computer crash recently?  Some filesystems (e.g. ext4 before
kernel 2.6.30) might cause empty files under some conditions.

> #set give me
> HISTFILESIZE=500
> HISTSIZE=500

These are the standard values.  Make sure they are not set to 0 anywhere.

> right now it work normal. after my last login it is not zero size anymore.
>
> what i want to ask is, if the file (.bash_history) automatically empty
> after the filesize reach 500KB?

First, the size of 500 means 500 lines, not 500 KB.  Second, no, it will
not be emptied, bash will save the most recent 500 entries.

Sven