Re: --initrd

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Johann Spies wrote:
According to the kernel-package README.gz one can use the following
command to compile a kernel with an initrd.img:

$Get_Root make-kpkg --initrd --revision=3:custom.2.0 kernel_image

In the past I could compile a kernel like that and when I install the
package an initrd image would be generated in /boot.  It is no longer
the case.  I had to do it by hand recently and I cannot remember now
which command I have used to generate it.

Why this change?  Or what am I missing?

This has been discussed:

and it's progress :-(

Now you have to tweak make-kpkg and add your own initrd script.

Hugo

Hi,

you can just copy example initramfs or yaird scripts from /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/ , it's good enough for a start.

The line you are referring to works if you already compiled a kernel without initrd, but you can just "rm -r" the source /debian directory, and run make-kpkg again with the --initrd option, it won't compile the whole kernel again.

Everything is explained in the READ ME file.

/usr/share/kernel-package/docs/

Tom