Iceweasel: Failure to add security exception

Hello,

When connecting to my home-server (using a self-signed certificate) I
unsurprisingly get the famous "sec_error_unknown_issuer" error. I now
navigate to "Edit->Preference->Advanced->Encryption->View Certificates-
>Servers->Add Exception",type in my URL and hit "Get certificate" ... which
fails with the same "sec_error_unknown_issuer" error seen from the "normal"
browser window. In brief I'm being prevented to add an exception by the
cause of the need to add an exception ... or some such. What's going on
here?

Thanks for any hints, Joh