apt-ia32 is driving me nuts

I know this is the Users-list, but perhaps you can shed some light on
this for me.  This ia32-lib silliness to make systems work with both x64
and x32 systems and the way it interacts with synaptic/aptitude produces
totally wacky outcomes.  I just tried to upgrade to current Sid and Sun
JRE needs to be removed because Sun java bin needs ia32-java something
or another.  A few other needed packages also want to be removed.

Before I ever knew of apt-ia32 my x64 system worked fine.  If (IF) I
needed a 32 bit program installed I would just use dpkg
--force-architecture foo.deb.  Now I find I have to jump through a hoop
of using synaptic, aptitude or apt-get to get results that makes sense.

Why all the bother?  I mean x64 has been around for like five years.
Bite the bullet.  Who is making x32 systems anymore?  Who?

Java is x64, flash is beta x64.  Firefox works fine in x64, nonfree
codex are x64. virt-manager used to work:

Error starting Virtual Machine
Manager: /usr/lib/virt-manager/sparkline.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

What am I missing?  Why all the ia32 silliness?

How do I get a sane system back that works with synaptic and aptitude
with out removing half my system?

I know this is Sid, been using Sid for years.  I know all about
breakage, this just seems a bit overly complicated.

--
Damon Chesser <damon@damtek.com>