kmymoney & QIF vs OFX

my bank only exports OFX file format which Kmymoney doesn't recognize.
then I see that:
http://financialsoft.about.com/od/softwaretitle1/a/q05_qif.htm

Quicken Deluxe 2005
Intuit made 100 changes to Quicken Premiere Home and Business 2005 based on
consumer response. Among these changes is the discontinuance of the long-used
QIF format for importing and exporting data files. This is an important issue
to consider when deciding whether to upgrade to Quicken 2005.

so, why would a new version of Kmymoney use a format that has been
discontinued for 4 years?

any clues as to what I can do to convert it?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800