Re: Utility to decompress .ape files.

On 2009-08-07 17:43 (+0700), Sthu Deus wrote:

> I have a mac program that decompresses .ape files. But with a number
> of .ape files the program crashes and I see that it is no longer
> supported as the last version was of year 2007.
>
> Can You recommend an utility that can decompress .ape files to .wav or
> .flac beside the mac one?

I have never used this myself but debian-multimedia repository [1] has
monkeys-audio package which should do what you want. Package's

    Monkey's Audio is a highly efficient and popular lossless audio
    codec.

    It is a tuned compressor for audio, like mp3, ogg, etc - but
    "lossless" in that it does not completely discard information, and
    performs more of a "zipping" that can be reversed at any time and
    generate the original source audio file (hence "lossless" vs
    "lossy").

    Features:
    * Efficient (fast and great compression)
    * Perfect sound - absolutely no quality loss
    * Incorporates redundant CRC's to ensure proper decompression of
      data
    * Tagging support - extremely flexible APE Tags

 1. http://www.debian-multimedia.org/