Re: Little OT : Software for Active Noise Cancelling or Reduction

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:08 AM, Mark Neidorff<mark@neidorff.com> wrote:
> Is it technically not feasable, meaning that a room is too large to do noise
> cancelling in, or not feasable from the linux software prespective?

The former, I'd think.  For that to work on the room level, you'd need
to have sensors surrounding the room and speakers in all the walls.
Sound waves inside a room aren't uniform enough for the a simple
speaker setup to cancel them out.  You've probably noticed how the way
a room sounds can change substantially just from turning your head or
shifting it a few inches one way or the other?  The same would be true
with a microphone assembly that you tried to use for noise
cancellation.  And if the noise cancellation weren't calibrated
correctly, you'd wind up with spots that were noisier than they'd be
without the setup.

Really this is a job best suited to headphones.