Using a package from unstable if stable has a bug?

Let's say the package "watchdog" in Lenny has a bug which probably got fixed in the later upstream versions of watchdog in Debian Sid.

So I pulled in the sources for watchdog package from Debian Sid on my Lenny system and compiled the watchdog package and it built without complaining about anything.

What are some of the ramifications using a compiled package from Sid in Stable?

Is there any elegant way to workaround the situation? How about backporting? Or with the above process that I just described, did I just backported the package?

Kushal Koolwal

I do blog at http://blogs.koolwal.net/

Get free photo software from Windows Live
http://www.windowslive.com/online/photos?ocid=PID23393::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_PH_software:082009