That'll be really awesome for me.
And a live cd will be a really good idea.
Thank you for your kind reply.

On 2009-08-04 22:41, Kun Niu wrote:
[snip]

 We've encountered the problem upgrading the kernel to 2.6.8.
Is that Etch?

No. Woody provides both 2.4 kernel and 2.6 kernel. But the default is the
2.4 one.  There's a 2.6 verion in the branch.

Ah, I remember that now...

 It seems that apt-get fail to execute the update-initramfs and the box
fails
to boot.
I execute the command by hand.
But I haven't rebooted my machine since then.
Hope that the new kernel will work for me.
Is there anything else I should pay special attention to?
Thanks for any attention and reply in advance.

Are you trying to go straight from Woody to Lenny?

Yes. That's what I want.  Would that be too dangerous?
We've encountered the boot failure problem.
But the system works fine when switching back to the old 2.4 kernel.

I don't think that Debian ever supports skipping major releases, and also I think that before moving to Etch you should be running the 2.6 kernel and have upgraded apt, dpkg and other important utilities.  But if 2.6.9 won't boot, that's a problem.

Somewhere on debian.org are pages on how to upgrade from Woody to Etch.  So, I'd read them first and try it.

If that doesn't work, then I'd think long and hard about doing a fresh install.  (Hopefully you have /home and any data directories on separate partitions.)  Also, I'd get a Live CD and see if it boots on your system.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer