Problems with HP PSC 1210 all-in-one printer on lenny

Hello,

I recently did a fresh install of a lenny distribution on a P4 system for a family member (I don't have direct access right now). During the installation I connected a HP PSC 1210 all-in-one printer through USB and I was able to print with it (CUPS printer installed via Gnome desktop system-administration-printing).

I could not get the scanner part to work with sane / xsane, which consistently could not detect the printer. Looking in the debian-user archives I saw various hints that this printer has been working with debian for various people in the past, though I am not entirely sure.

Next problem is that when the system is booted with the printer connected (not switched on, but I suspect it is in a kind of stand-by mode), the kernel appears to hang, just after the statement that there are no IPv6 routers (which in itself is correct). Disconnecting the printer then causes a spontaneous reboot, where there is a question if a bug-report should be sent to the kernel-developers. The standard lenny kernel is installed, linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 package, version of July 30 (whatever that was, I can check).

Questions:
Does anyone use the HP PSC 1210 all-in-one printer with a lenny system and
1) also has a kernel hang, or not
2) can scan with it, or not ?

In the bug system I could find a bug about a kernel hang that may be related (also seems to be a USB issue with the kernel) http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=525896.

Any suggestions appreciated,