Re: detect ramtype

On 2009-08-04 01:05, T o n g wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 04:25:09 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

2009/7/31 michal krajcirovic <konf@krajcirovic.cz>

Hi, I need to determine the type of RAM in the server, I could add
more. Is it a program that know what memory is currently in the
server, without it I had to disassemble? Dmidecode command output,
although the size of RAM, etc., but find out what it's slot, etc.
Interesting that (lshw) doesn't tell you what *kind* of RAM. Although
mine doesn't explicitly say DDR2.

 dmidecode -t memory

It explicitly says DDR2 for my case and reports the RAM size, speed, slot etc:

% dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.5 present.

[snip]

Handle 0x001E, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x001D
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 2048 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: A0
        Bank Locator: Bank0/1
        Type: DDR2
        Type Detail: None
        Speed: 800 MHz (1.2 ns)
        Manufacturer: 7F98000000000000
        Serial Number: A5CCA744
        Asset Tag: None
Part Number:

Your mobo has SMBIOS 2.5, which *might* be the key, since mine only has v2.4, and simply says "Type: Unknown". Or maybe you sprang for higher-quality memory...

# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.4 present.
[snip]
Handle 0x002A, DMI type 17, 27 bytes