Unable to upgrade my kernel

I'm attempting to upgrade the kernel on my laptop to 2.6.30-1-amd64 (so I can use the Memory Stick Pro feature of the built-in card reader with the tifm_ms driver).

However, the install fails epically.  Here is the output from the attempt.

scarletdown@Arabel:~$ sudo dpkg --configure linux-image-2.6.30-1-amd64
Setting up linux-image-2.6.30-1-amd64 (2.6.30-5) ...
Running depmod.
Running mkinitrd.yaird.
mkinitrd.yaird: invalid option -- 't'
Terminating...
mkinitrd.yaird failed to create initrd image.
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.30-1-amd64 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 linux-image-2.6.30-1-amd64

Running Sid, if I remember right on this laptop.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Also, is there any way to do a dist-upgrade without being forced into KDE 4?  I don't really care for 4 and would prefer to stay with 3.5.  However, it looks like apt-get dist-upgrade is going to force 4 on me.