Re: Musings on debian-user list

On 2009-08-03 12:43, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 09:12:18AM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 09:19:16PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <...> was heard to say:
Michael Pobega wrote:

Mark, a GUI-less system is useless (unless it's some sort of server).
You are kidding, right?
It actually depends on what you are using it for. I use GUI-less systems all
the times for programming. They are as useful as a GUI system.

This is not to say that GUI is useless. For browsing, emails, reading pdfs
etc., I use GUI based systems.
  But...but...how do you fit an Emacs session and five shells on the
screen at once without a GUI?  :-O

by putting all the shells in emacs windows, duh, sheesh... ;-P

A GUI, though, allows you to have dozens (hundreds, even) of xterms in all sorts of rectangular dimensions. And doesn't restrict you to a black background, as does the console. Also, GUIs allow different xterm windows to have different fonts/sizes and background colors.

(I'd mention huge scrollback buffers, but emacs or screen probably also does that.)

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer