Re: menu.lst problem

In <[🔎] 20090731124204.GW7828@keuner.winnegan.fake>, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 16:48 +0800, Timothy Wu wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 3:53 PM, frank <frank@anotheria.net> wrote:
>> > Check out the menu.lst file.
>>
>> Whoa! I didn't know text hidden in those comments are actually in-use.

They aren't really comments.  Reading the file would have clarified that.

>ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGs, that's the 1st program I saw in >35 year of
>programming that analyzes comments to change behaviour (apart from
>documentation generators).

1. It is well documented.  Basically everything you need to know is in the
file and there are additional man pages.

2. The lines starting this a single '#' are comments to *grub*.  The lines
between the markers starting with a single '#' are not comments *update-
grub*.

3. Lines starting with a single '#' are comments in C *unless* the '#' is
immediately followed by a pre-processor command.  This is similar -- you can
think of update-grub as a GRUB menu.lst pre-processor.

4. It's been that way for a very long time.  I'm not sure how GRUB2 will
affect it, but I don't think it will change for GRUB1 for the foreseeable
future.