Re: Problem using deb install

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 22:43:08 +1000
Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am building a new laptop, I downloaded the daily build debian
> installer, i choose the encrypted lvm option, problem is when it reboots
> it can't find the rootfs, i have to wait till it times out and then do a
> cryptsetup -T1 luksOpen /dev/sda2 sda2_crypt and then a scan for the lvm
> pv / vg and then active the lv, then a ctrl+d to exit out of the console
> and restart the boot up sequence.
>
> not sure what is going wrong ?  plus I choose grub2 - but this looks
> more like the initramfs stuffing up

I just spent hours over a similar problem, although I was doing a
manual partition (PATA HDD -> primary partition -> luks encrypted
volume -> lvm).  In my case, the problem seems to be this:

and see also:

What finally worked for me is to use the phrase
"target=hda4_crypt,source=/dev/hda4,lvm=lizzie-root", where /dev/hda4
is the raw partition on the HDD, hda4_crypt is the luks encrypted
volume, lizzie is the lvm VG, and root is the lvm volume containing the
root FS.  You can add this to the kernel command line, like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.30-1-686 cryptopts=target=hda4_crypt,source=/dev/hda4,lvm=lizzie-root root=/dev/mapper/lizzie-root ro

or you can put it in a (Debian specific?) kopt line in grub's menu.lst,
like this:

# kopt=cryptopts=target=hda4_crypt,source=/dev/hda4,lvm=lizzie-root root=/dev/mapper/lizzie-root ro

and then run update-grub, IIRC.  [IIUC, This just causes some Debian
script to update the actual kernel command line as per the first
method.]

Celejar