Re: Network concerns and configuration draft 4

> Ok so here is the issue I have a desire to run my own linux server as an rt
> box and to do wiki web serving plus email.

This requires outside machines to be able to connect to your server on
port 80 by default.  It's fairly common for ISPs to block port 80
specifically because they don't want you to run servers.

> 5. dyndns didn`t work as the machine didn`t route the traffic out of
> my home even when directly ordered to by the dsl router-machines on
> the inside could though

The above doesn't make any sense to me.  I have no idea which "machine"
you're talking about, for example.  And dyndns doesn't have anything to
do with routing.

> 6. I am looking for the best option for the money I like cheap and I like
> something that gives all comps access  but allows me my file serving.

My crystal ball says that if you use another port than 80 (e.g. 8080),
then it may work just fine.

Of course, a static IP would probably work as well, not by its nature
but because your ISP probably doesn't block port 80 for their static IPs
(since that would defeat the main purpose of having a static IP).

        Stefan