Re: udev warning message on Debian 5.0

On 2009-07-30 18:53 +0200, Kushal Koolwal wrote:

>>Assuming Kushal uses an initramfs, without it the boot process will
>> halt rather early if the kernel cannot find /dev/console.
> Actually I am not using initramfs. Would leaving /dev/console and deleting everything under /dev/.udev/ work?

You should rm -rf /dev/.udev/, but it is better to leave the rest of
/dev alone.  That way you may be able to access the system even if udev
breaks completely.

Actually I only know about the problem of /dev/console being necessary
from my own experience.  I once moved my root filesystem to another
partition using "cp -ax", not considering that this would leave out
everything under /dev.  The cloned root system worked fine until I
booted a kernel without an initramfs.

Sven