[Fwd: Re: Musings on debian-user list]

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 2009-07-29 19:04, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Some of us run servers :-)

And presumably you're experienced enough to run Mutt. Give OP some time...

Well, actually, I read mail on my Mac, with SeaMonkey, but that's another story. I keep a copy of Alpine on the server for those times I'm on the road at locations that block IMAP (of course some of those tend to block ssh as well; I've taken to tethering through my Blackberry when on the road).

I've been running headless Debian servers for years, never used anything but a command line to manage them.

I guess I could run X-Windows remotely, but never really saw a need to - ssh to a command prompt is just fine.

You're right.  Keep it X-less.

Unless you've got an Oracle database. In which case you *must* install X. Grrrr.

Never did have to run Oracle. At work, we run Oracle on customer servers, but my stuff has always been MySQL.

Cheers,

Miles