USB Ethernet adapter and pegasus hang the computer?

Hi,

My system is Debian GNU/Linux Lenny with linux-image 2.6.26-2-486 on
an old Toshiba laptop 'Satellite 2540CDS'. I love it!

I'm using USB2.0 Ethernet adapter to connect to the Internet. The box
is on LAN at my home. I'm using cable modem to connecting to the
Internet.

There is kernel modules loaded:
pegasus, mii, usbcore.

cdc_ether and usbnet are not loaded and I still have the internet
connection!

It is often happen that this connection to the internet fail. Then I
don't know how to fix it.  I tried the following command:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
but that not help.

If I try:
$ sudo rmmod pegasus
or
$ sudo shutdown -t 1 -r now

then the reboot process start, but hang at:

acpid: exiting

[17045.620329] pegasus 1-1:1.0: set_registers, status -22

Here I can only use the Power Button of the PC Box.

Why this happen, and how can I solve this problem?

Any advices will be appreciated!

--
Regards,
Paul Chany