Re: question about email delivery triggered by resent thread on musings

Hi Paul,

on Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 17:45 -0600, you wrote:

> I run a Lenny/gnome desktop. I use mutt to read mail. Emacs is invoked
> by mutt to compose mail. I do delivery from my ISP by invoking
> fetchmail from a command line in a gnome-terminal window. When
> fetchmail terminates, I run Mutt in the same window. I have noticed
> that there often seem to be fewer new emails to read than, it seemed,
> were downloaded according to fetchmail progress messages, but I wasn't
> sure until my experience this morning with the musings thread. When I
> viewed it, about 2 hours ago, there were only two replies (Ron
> Johnson and (OP) Robert Holtman). I started to compose my own reply,
> and noticed in the emacs window that the quoted original in Robert's
> message was nested much deeper than two levels. How could this happen?

On my LAN I'm using mostly the same tools for my mail as you do plus
postfix as my MTA of choice, but I use them differently.

 - fetchmail runs as a daemon, polling my POP3 accounts at my ISPs
   every 5 minutes and injecting mails via /usr/sbin/sendmail.
 - MTA uses procmail to deliver mail.
 - mutt polls mailboxes informing me when-/wherever new mail arrives.
 - gnuclient fires up an emacs frame for composing mail.

> I think it has something to do with Procmail. I run Procmail to
> distribute emails by topic/sender/etc. When fetchmail terminates,
> procmail is still running, I suspect. Is this what is happening?  Is
> there some way that I can determine when procmail has finished
> delivering? i.e. some email queue that is filled by fetchmail and
> drained by procmail? or some other trick?

What kind of mailboxes do you use for procmail to deliver to?  If mbox
files, do you use locking?   I'm using maildirs to deliver incoming mail
to, they don't need locking not even across nfs mounts.

> Also while researching the situation for this email, I notice that
> Robert Holtzman's reply to Ron Johnson's email has a time-stamp that
> is *prior* to the time-stamp of Ron's email. A reply that is sent

Which timestamp? The one in the Date: header or the one on the file.
In order to track down you may want to look at the mail's Received:
headers, viewable when pressing 'h' in the mail display.  In general
the headers contain timestamps in RFC-822 format, i.e. including TZ
info.

> before the referenced email?? How is this possible? Maybe, because
> they live in different time zones, and Mutt displays time-stamps for
> the senders time-zone, not my time-zone. Is this so? Can it be
> changed?

mutt is *extremely configurable*, I still find yet undiscovered (by
me) options when looking into the docs.  So my answer to your last
question is: dunno, probably yes.

HTH
  Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de