Re: Frequent crashes whilst using X (try 2)

On 26/07/09 13:18:58, Chris Davies wrote:
> Barry Samuels <barry@beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:
> > A few weeks ago after some packages were updated X applications
> > started crashing and sometimes brought X down as well.
>
> Ah. Someone else, too!
>
> I'm getting segementation violations (signal 11) but since I use the
> proprietary NVidia driver I've not seen any way of reporting this as a
> fault. For me, it seems to happen no more than once a day or so, when
> I'm using compiz on a dual screen configuration, and the segv happens
> around the time I open a new window - typically using icedove when about
> to reply to someone's email. May be totally unrelated, of course, other
> than it also started just a few weeks ago.
>
> Chris

A few weeks ago would be about right.

I've also had it happen when I'm using Iceweasel. Once a day could be
about right except in my case Balsa seems particularly vulnerable and
could easily crash three times in a row.

I'm using the xorg nv driver but I have swapped to the vesa driver as a
test with no change - still crashes. That would seem to rule out a
graphics driver problem. Welcome to the club. :-))

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk