Re: aptitude security updates

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 13:30 +0200, roberto wrote:
> hello
> i am trying to update an old machine running sarge to etch and then to lenny;
> a couple of questions
> 1. is it still possible ?

I did this successfully on a machine w/o GUI some weeks ago using
apt-get instead of aptitude (didn't read the release notes<g>). Sorry
to say I was to lazy to note where problems arose. The following is
from the top of my head:

Step 1: g/sarge/s//etch/ in sources.list
        apt-get update
        apt-get -o Apt::ForceLoopbreak=y dist-upgrade

Step 2: upgrade packages that have not been upgraded automatically

Step 3: g/etch/s//lenny/ in sources.list
        apt-get update
        apt-get -o Apt::ForceLoopbreak=y dist-upgrade

Step 4: upgrade packages that have not been upgraded automatically

Please lookup the correct syntax for Apt::ForceLoopbreak yourself.
It will be necessary to run 'dpkg --configure --pending' and
'apt-get -f install' several times.

At one place dpkg barks at a .deb containing a .bz2. Manually upgrade
dpkg to continue.

[snip]

hoping this helps
  Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de