Re: [OT] GNU - Linux and Debian.......

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 07:23:02PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 04:27:05PM EDT, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >
> > What the GNU project has done is give a name and a visibility, defined
> > a set of guidelines (and licenses) and created the expectations that
> > define both the Open Source and the Free Software movement.
>
> Enlightening post. Thank you.

While I do agree with this perspective, I do think it tends
to overly minimize the actual software the FSF produced and
maintains, especially gcc and the binutils, which were and
are absolutely essential for everything else.  I've said before
that Linux' portability is gcc's portability, and for that
reason alone, we do well to accomodate RMS' request for GNU
attribution.

--

May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave Craig

"'So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe.'"

--from _Nightfall_  by Asimov/Silverberg