Re: APT configuration file

Kc9EYE wrote:
Following the thread on apt defaulting to install recommends, I would
like to turn this option off. A previous poster stated to add this
line to the "/etc/apt/apt.conf" file: APT::Install-Recommends "0"; . I
would love to do that but I am unable as yet to find a file named
/etc/apt/apt.conf. I do however have one in the
/usr/share/doc/apt/examples directory. I do have a directory
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ containing configuration fragments. I also can
run apt-config dump and get a list of the configuration options that
apt is currently using, but I haven't been able to find out where
those options are being read from. In that list of options I have one
stating "Dir::Etc::main "apt.conf", yet there is no apt.conf in
/etc/apt. I have asked google repeatedly for any information
pertaining to apt configuration, apt.conf, apt howto. Yet can find
nothing on my MIA apt.conf. So, where exactly is apt-config dump
reading these configuration options from?
Thanks,

YMMV but what I would do is
cp  /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/apt.conf /etc/apt/

Now, you have a apt.conf file you can modify to suit your needs,
while referring to the apt.conf man page to understand what all those
entries mean.

Cheers

Wayne

WA1BBB