Keyboard layout problem in Debian Lenny

I have a fresh Debian Lenny installation.

During installation I chose the Belgian keyboard layout (an azerty layout).

After installation I only have a Belgian keyboard layout in the console, but in X it is the default US keyboard layout (a qwerty layout).

I can easily change the layout in GNOME (System -> Preferences -> Keyboard), but not in the GDM login window, which makes it very difficult to type user name and password.

I assume this is a bug, but does anybody know a work around for this problem?

Where does xserver-xorg get its information about the keyboard layout?

It is not coming from /etc/X11/xorg.conf. That file exists, but is empty.

I have also tried 'dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg'. debconf already knew that my keyboard should have a Belgian layout, but reconfiguring xserver-xorg did not have any effect on the keyboard layout that I actually get in X. It also left /etc/X11/xorg.conf empty.

I have also tried to remove the empty /etc/X11/xorg.conf. But then X does not start.

It is not coming from/etc/default/console-setup. That file did not exist after installation. After installing the package 'console-setup', the file /etc/default/console-setup existed and contained

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="be"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch,compose:rwin"

That is right, but still the keyboard layout under X remained 'US'.

It is also not coming from HAL. I have installed a file '10-keymap.fdi' in /etc/hal/fdi/policy
which contains a

<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">be</merge>

line. I have also checked with the gnome-device-manager what HAL thinks my keyboard layout is. It thinks it is Belgian al right. But, still X stays with a US keyboard.