Re: Is it a bug: huge dependency problems of php5 and ikiwiki

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 05:11:43PM +0200, Xan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a NSLU2 device (armel computer). With Debian 5.0.2 installed. I
> cannot use reportbug because exim4 is not configured properly.... but
> it's not the story.
>
> I have two possible bugs of too much dependencies:
>

> 1) When I want to install php5, apt install me apache2 packages. I think
> that php5 should depend on www-server not specifically on apache.
>
> For example, if I install cherokee and php5, apt should not install apache.
>
> You can see it here:
>
> apt-get install php5 -s

look at apt-cache show php5, you will see that it is a meta package
that depends on the following:

Depends: libapache2-mod-php5 (>= 5.2.0-8+etch13) | libapache-mod-php5
(>= 5.2.0-8+etch13) | php5-cgi (>= 5.2.0-8+etch13), php5-common (>=
5.2.0-8+etch13)

The '|' means 'or'. apt-get is just pulling in the first one on the
list which then forces an install of apache. Simply install php5-cgi
at the same time (or before) php5 and you should be fine.

[...]
> and
> apt-get install cherokee php5 -s

same problem as above. Although cherokee provides httpd-cgi, php5
doesn't depend on that... it depends on one of three specific
interfaces as shown above. hope that makes it clear.

so, to answer your question, no I don't think it's a bug, just a
misunderstanding of how the dependencies work. Php in fact does not
depend on a web server at all, but if you install the php5 meta
package you will get some kind of interface to a webserver because
that is the purpose of the meta package -- to provide a fully working
php system, I suppose. If you wanted, you could just install
php5-common and not use it with a web server at all, though there are
surely better languages for that purpose...

[...]

> 2) when I install ikiwiki, the same appears:
>
> apt-get install ikiwiki -s
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree      Reading state information... Done

[... snip long list of packages to install...]

> Really it's a huge dependencies. ikiwiki it's just a wiki written in
> perl. I understand that need some libraries, but why it needs cpp,
> openssl or subversion for example?. Actually the use of RCS in ikiwiki
> is optional.

I can't speak to this, but again, read the contents of apt-cache show
ikiwiki. It has pretty significant dependencies including a
c-compiler, for what purpose, I don't know, though I use ikiwiki
myself. I *believe*, without actually researching it, that it is
compiling the perl scripts. Also, subversion (and the other RCS's
listed) are Recommended. You must have an option set somewhere to
force installation of Recommend. man apt-get et al for details.

hth