Re: [OT] GNU - Linux and Debian.......

On Wed,22.Jul.09, 13:25:00, Charlie wrote:

> Just a general off topic query.
>
> I was recently informed that my signature had a problem rendering correctly on
> someone's mailer - deliniter incorrect -

line and some more text. At least mutt will show that in the normal
color (as in "not a signature"). Maybe you should try to keep your
signature shorter?

If you worry about nettiquete please also wrap your lines to *less* than
80 characters. 72 is a good number, allowing also for several levels of
quoting.

> and was told that my signature "Linux Debian" should read "Debian
> GNU/Linux" because: "considering that the majority of it is provided
> by GNU."

GNU stands for "GNU's not UNIX" and was always meant to be a free
operating system, while Linux is a kernel. You could think of it like:
the GNU operating system with the Linux kernel, but whatever you name
it, neither can work without the other, so yes, the correct name would
be some combination of GNU+Linux.

OTOH, a modern *desktop* operating system without X and a DE/WM is not
very common, so maybe the correct designation should be (in my case)
"GNU/Linux Xorg/Xfce"?

> I have added GNU - but it may be silly? My own prejudice was that Linux was
> first so should be first, that without it there would be no Debian? Or as I
> asked my correspondent, who never replied, would there have been an OpenBSD
> Debian or something like that? Then should GNU go before Debian or after? Or
> not be there at all? Even if most comes from GNU Debian is the one that
> creates it so?

Debian is working on GNU/Hurd (GNU+Hurd kernel) and GNU/kFreeBSD
(GNU+FreeBSD kernel). I haven't heard of any plans to make a
FreeBSD/Linux or similar combination as it seems the GNU tools are
easier to port to a different kernel then the other "tools".

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)