Re: dd hung up by disk errors

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 09:43:13AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I have a bad drive in a laptop and am attempting to salvage what I can
> with (roughly)
> dd conv=noerror,sync if=/dev/sda3 of=/nfs/backup
> where the of is NFS mounted from another system.
>
> This keeps trying when it encounters a disk read error, but there are
> lots of errors and it is very slow (only 200MB transferred in c 9
> hours).  The first 62G went OK, but the disk is c 75G.
>
> I'm willing to accept some sectors as lost, but it would really help if
> there were a way to do so quickly.  Is there?
>
> I think the drive is SATA; it's in a Dell Latitude D630 laptop.  I
> booted off a Knoppix 5.1 CD. sda3 is an NTFS partition.

As others has noted, use of dd with seek etc. will do most.

I have made list of data recovery tools on Debian.
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch10.en.html#_data_file_recovery_and_forensic_analysis
This may help later.

Anyway, your harddisk may be faulty.  It sounds like to get new one.

If I were you and I have minimum budget and hardware (I mean no extra
PC), I will go buy new SATA disk and external SATA/USB kit.

1. Buy 500GB SATA at below $100 (160GB below $50)
   This should be enough space.
2. Do fresh install. (Both NT/XT and Debian)
3. Put old disk on USB box and work on data recovery.

Osamu