Re: Segmentation fault in dpkg and aptitude

Bill Wohler wrote:
Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> writes:

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 09:48:37PM -0700, Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> was heard to say:
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

After making the following changes to pull in sid's bluez 4.0 package in
a lenny system, I'm now getting segmentation faults when I run dpkg and
aptitude. Any thoughts on how to recover from this?
I found I was able to run "apt-get -f install" twice and be able to
use aptitude to perform package maintenance again.

However, now I'm finding that Emacs and Firefox (Iceweasel) die with
segmentation faults at random times. Wonder if I'll get this email
away...
  It sounds like bad memory to me.  Have you tried running a memory
checker?

Thanks, Daniel. No I haven't since it hadn't occurred to me: the
machine is new and I just added some good quality Mushkin memory. I'll
try memtester, although the documentation says it won't be able to
test all 8 GB of my memory. Then I'll try memtest86+ when I'm not
using the machine. It's been a long, long time since I've used these.
Any other suggestions?

I was getting segfaults when trying to boot, it was an init script running tput. I ran a reinstall on a few things and it went away.

Mark Allums