Maintaining personal backports

Dear Debian users,

I am sure many of us would like to use the latest version of some
applications even while we are on Debian stable. While I am aware that
backports do exist, I prefer making my own backports, especially for
those packages which are not supported by the semi-official Debian
backports service.

I was wondering if some of you had a workflow with a level of
automation to achieve this task. Currently, my workflow is: update
stable pbuilder chroot -> Download source from unstable -> pdebuild ->
dpkg -i the debs. I was thinking that should script these actions and
get the file dumped to a personal repository which is present in my
sources.list, but I was hoping someone already had a better solution.

Thanks in advance.

Kumar

P. S. Please don't advise me to use testing; I do that anyway usually,
but this is for a different machine.