Re: CUPS lpq

Thanks for your reply, lee.

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009, lee wrote:
On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:46:26PM +0530, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
How can I make the CUPS lpq command give more details than simply
this? --

   girish@marvin:~$ lpq -P duplex2
   duplex2 is ready
   no entries

see man lpq

   girish@marvin:~$ lpq -P duplex2 -l
   duplex2 is ready
   no entries

Nothing much else on this in the manual.

Afair that can have to do with how cups is set up. Early versions
had the problem that cups would halt a printer when it detected that
the printer wasn't ready --- pretty retarded because the admin (who
found out the hard way that using cups had been a mistake) had to
restart the printing after users called him because they couldn't
print even after they refilled the paper tray.  Apparently, that was
changed at some time.

Didn't know that history.  Thanks!

I'm running cups on my computer, and cups doesn't notice and doesn't
care even when I turn off the printer which is connected to the LPT
port. --- I would think at least three times about it before using
cups in a network environment again. For what I use it now, it works
fine and is easy to use ...  Have you tried using lprng? That should
be easy to set up since they are using it and you can copy their
setup.

Yes, CUPS not noticing jammed, busy or off printers is my basic
problem here too.  It would be interesting to know what the CUPS
people have to say about this.

I haven't tried LPRng.  I preferred CUPS because it is Debian's
default and I want to keep things simple.  But maybe I'll move to
LPRng at some point.

Girish.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - athene.org.in/girish